Thursday, December 4, 2008

Quantum Whateverics

I really dislike quantum mechanics. VERY MUCH. Not only is it incomprehensible (I'm with Einstein on this one), it is impossible. How can the observation of something effect what it does? Electrons, as far as I know AND as far as I'm concerned, do not think for themselves. I understand a person acting differently under observation; it's in our nature. But absolutely tiny pieces of matter? Unless they have brains like those of animals, the fact that they choose to act differently when watched just doesn't make sense.

I feel like there's a piece of a puzzle missing when it comes to this topic. I wish there was evidential proof, other than that's what 'is found when the experiment is performed'. There needs to be more to this, I think, so that there is an actual reason for the different action.

I think that the reason for my dislike of Q.M. (quantum mechanics, more like quite mean) is because I'm so...logical and skeptical. I don't believe in anything until it's absolutely 100% proven. With real proof. Yes, I know that this does have real proof, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around it.

I hope that one of two things happen in the very near future, although it is doubtful that either will occur soon. 1. I really want Q.M. to be proven wrong...or 2. I want someone to be able to explain why we have to rely on chance and probability so much. I need there to be a reason behind electrons thinking for themselves. Oh gosh, if only there was an explanation, maybe I wouldn't get a headache trying to figure out what the meaning behind all of this is.

2 comments:

  1. Tell us how you truly feel about QM. xD ahahaha, anyways i need to disagree with you. I love having a reason for things to but if there ever isn't one I'm perfectly fine with leaving it at that. I mean sure, annoying the crap out of the scientist (or whoever is teaching the subject) with questions he/she cant answer is always at the top of my list of priorities (poor Grdinic) but thats only for the fun of it, not for the pursuit of knowledge. To be perfectly honest somebody could tell me that the electron sits in front of the two slits in the tests and does eeny meeny miney mo or like prays for a sign from the Quantam God before choosing which one to go through and i'd be like YAY. AWESOME.

    personally i think its cool how electrons act differently under observation. i mean seriously if i were an electron id do the exact same thing.

    Me: He's watching -switches slit-
    Scientist: What? The electron has switched slits? B-b-but, its supposed to do what i expected it to. I mean....-calls up from the basement- MOTHER THE ELECTRON IS BEING CONFOUNDING.
    His mother: WINSTON WHAT HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT SHOOTING PARTICLES THROUGH SLITS.
    Me: OH WHATCHA GONNA DO NOW HMM?

    -sigh- can you tell how bored i am today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this whole topic was absolutely nuts... Which is why I loved it so much! I'd also have to sort of disagree. The whole point of this was that you can't be "logical," because your whole perspective of what is logical and what isn't could be (and according to these experiments probably is) completely wrong. We base our logic of our our perception of reality, but if our perception is wrong, so is our logic. So, like I do agree it was confusing, but it's almost like supposed to be. It's like that guy said, "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, then you haven't really thought about it" (idk thats always what mr. grdinic said).

    ReplyDelete